Friday, August 1, 2008

Following the Butterfly.....


Maddie has become really interested in butterflies. Actually interested in how an ugly awkward caterpillar can turn into a majestic beautiful butterfly. This started with our first trip to the Nature Center, where a caterpillar was getting ready to turn into a chrysalis. We watched it, over several trips, hang upside down all alone, turn into an chrysalis, and then blossom into a beautiful butterfly.


Today, when we went to check on it, it had just hatched out of the chrysalis. The wings were still wet and it couldn't even fly. I have to wonder what it's first thought is after changing. Is it..."Wo-Ho Nelly...I wish the ol' bugs back in the hood could see me now." Or is it, "Thank you God for choosing little ol' me to become something beautiful." Of course, I completely understand that caterpillars don't really have thoughts!


As I stood watching my daughter in awe of this creation, I was completely aware of how awesome is our God. I can't fathom how He created this creature that could actually turn itself into something completely different. Not only that, this fragile butterfly, when released, will migrate to Mexico. Yes, to Mexico from Minnesota. Maddie and I looked on a map...it is a long way down there. I wonder if the kids and I could hitch a ride with it.......


I have to wonder if God meant for their to be a parallel between our lives in Christ and the butterfly. Because, I too was an ugly awkward "caterpillar". Only through the transformation of becoming a Christian did I turn into a "beautiful butterfly" in Christ. Still working on the awkward part, though :)


How can I doubt when the God that created butterflies is the God that is taking care of me and my family? How can I worry when my God already knows the ending and is leading us where He wants us? But I do....until I see something like the butterfly that reminds me of God's power, love, and grace. Hopefully, there will be many more butterflies to cross my path!

Here is Maddie concentrating on the butterfly. She was very concerned since it couldn't fly. That is, until we came home and reread her book on butterflies....it assured her (since she didn't believe Mommy, "No, you don't know 'bout butterflies, Mommy") that as soon as the wings dry (around 3 hours) the butterfly will be flying all around.

Then, she became sad because she knew that the butterfly would soon be released. I reminded her that the cage in the Nature Center wasn't really the butterfly's home and that the butterfly needed wide open spaces to be able to fly and be happy. Just like the apartment isn't really her home and she needs a home with rooms, space, and grass to be able to stretch and play and be happy. At that, she smiled!!

No comments: