Thursday, August 21, 2008

In my element....

Today Maddie had a make up summer camp class (from the ones missed while we were trotting around the south). While she was there, Sam and I ventured to a consignment sale. It is the only one that I have found anywhere near us.

I was so excited to load up my double stroller full of snacks and hit the racks. It brought back so many memories of friends and places we used to consignment shop at in Georgia. I must say, it didn't come close to being as adventurous as Barbara and I loading up all five kids to shop. But, it felt like home. Sam really enjoys it...of course he knows that if he is really good he gets to choose a surprise. Nothing like bribery to keep your kid quiet so you can accomplish something, huh?

We found some good buys. I was able to get both Maddie and Sam snow pants. I found Sam some snow boots as well. I made him try them on..I wasn't going to pay $8 (I am spoiled for always consignment shopping, the boots I bought were L.L. Bean and probably cost more than $40 new) for boots that I wasn't sure fit. Sam tried to take one step with them on and fell flat on his face. It all happened in slow-mo. I was so shocked he fell, I didn't even have time to react to try and catch him. I am sure the people around were wondering what kind of mom I was....laughing at my child who is face down wearing snow boots. According to Sam, they were "heaby heaby" (heavy heavy). Oh dear, we have some practicing to do before the real snow comes.

Oh, how I have missed the "thrill of the hunt". I came home very excited about my purchases and all the money I saved. As tradition, I will make Wade sit down tonight while I show him all my purchases and explain how cheap they are and how much I saved. And in following tradition, he will sit and listen, with a half ear while watching T.V, uh-humming once in a while.

2 comments:

Sharmaine said...

:) I love Sam without ever meeting him, but I have to admit that I laughed so hard when I read this!

Trisha said...

I have been thinking of you lately for this very reason - it's bargain hunting season in the ATL again!