Wednesday, August 20, 2008

North Carolina Visit

A Visit to Grandma and Papa's










Maddie and Sam love going to Grandma and Papa's house. They get to play outside with their cousin Wi-Wee (Lily), ride the tractor, and play school in Papa's workshop. Not to mention the "secret hiding place" made out of pillows and in the woods. We were also able to meet the newest addition to the family, Zoe.


Of course, I love going because Mrs. Sheek makes the best sweet tea. She had some waiting for me when I arrived. One sip and I knew I was back in the south.


During this trip, the Sheeks gave me my birthday present early. I was able to get a massage while Mrs. Sheek kept the kids for me. What a perfect present! Just what I needed, a chance to relax, unwind and prepare my back for lugging all the luggage back home. Thank you so much!



Riding Horses






I know you aren't surprised to see pictures of my kids on horse back. If you follow my blog, you know that we can't go to NC and not ride horses.

Some things you may not know, Strawberry was my first horse. Never did I imagine, as a young child, that my children would one day ride her. I used to ride her bareback with only a lead rope tied to her halter. Would I let my kids do that? Never. Though you don't see pictures, I still ride Strawberry when I am home. Since Strawberry and I grew up together, we have a bond that lasts through distance and children.

You may be questioning why there is a towel on the saddle under the kids. You can blame that on me. In my packing frenzy, I forgot to throw in jeans for the kids. We were going south, you know! If you ride without jeans, the saddle pinches you (I have the bruises to prove it...since I rode without jeans). To solve this problem, Granddaddy threw an old towel on the saddle and wa-la...no more pinches.

I am very proud of both my children's horsemanship skills. Both have no fear of horses and love them. That, I believe, is genetic and they get it honest. Sam does really well to balance himself and doesn't need anyone to hold onto him anymore. Maddie was trotting by herself. Well, Granddaddy was running with Strawberry attached to a lead, but no one was holding her on. Those of you city slickers who may not know, trotting is a "jog" for a horse. It is between a walk and a canter. Needless to say, trotting is bouncy and Strawberry is known for her very bouncy trot. Maddie sat tall and deep in the saddle and rode like a pro....minus the squeals of delight. Well, you can't be perfect your first time :)

No comments: