Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Boys will be boys....

I discovered, day 1, that boys are different than girls (changing that first baby boy diaper is MUCH different from a little girl diaper). The older Sam gets, the more apparent this is.

For instance, currently Maddie is happily coloring a wonderful "pitcher" (picture) and singing to herself. While Sam, is jumping off the couch. Maddie loves to play dolls and is content to sit and brush her My Little Ponies hair. Sam loves to play cars, but his cars have to get in "trouble" with another car to come and "hook" (tow) them out. This usually ends up with all the cars crashing together in a loud noise.

While Maddie will hold my leg and look shyly out at someone new, Sam enjoys asking questions. If the said person doesn't respond, he just asks them louder. Example, yesterday at the home inspection. The very nice man that did the inspection was wearing overalls. In Sam's mind, overalls makes you either a farmer or a train conductor. Yesterday being a farmer won out. While Maddie was sweetly smiling at the nice man, Sam walks up and asks, in his very two year old way, "You farmer?" (translation: Are you a farmer?). The nice man either couldn't understand Sam or chose to ignore him. Being the mom that I am, I tried to shush Sam without causing a scene. Sam, not one to be shushed, asked the man again and louder "You farmer". Again, the nice man chose to ignore Sam. While the inspector and relator's back were turned, I shot Sam one of those (every mom out there knows and has given this look...you know you have) don't you dare say that again. And whispered to Sam, "He isn't a farmer, he just wears overalls".

At this, my fashion expert decided to give her critique and said, "Well, dey wook dirty." (translation: well, they look dirty). Again out comes "the look" from me. I quietly explained that he had been crawling in the attic and things to make sure the house was safe for us. Wasn't that so nice of him.

After finally getting the kids minds off of the nice man's work attire, we went off to hear the results from the inspection. Maddie was quietly processing things like caulking. Sam was on my hip because it was after what should have been nap time and really tired. While listening to all that was going on, I was thankful that the kids were behaving (and yes I can listen and have other thoughts at the same time, isn't that the great thing about being a woman....multitasking, baby).

At that same exact second Sam lifts his head up and asks loudly "Where tak-tor" (translation: where is your tractor). Before I can answer, Maddie does so for me (with all the authority and know it all of a four year old), "Him not a farmer, him not have a tractor, him just dirty from crawling around."

Unfortunately, the nice man heard this and turned to look at us. What could I do? I tired to think of something fast and humorous, but alas my humor had taken that moment off. So, I pulled a Maddie and just smiled shyly and the nice man and said something to the effect of "The nice man has worked so hard making sure the house is really safe, we should tell him thank you" or something cheesy like that. Being well trained southern children, the kids followed with a chorus of thank yous. Since this is the mid-west and it isn't as common to hear that here, the nice man (in dirty overalls who isn't a farmer and doesn't own a tractor) just beamed when he heard this. When he turned to walk away, again I gave my kids "the look"....but it had the twinkle of humor in it this time.

No comments: