Monday, July 14, 2008

Weekend In Review

Friday Night: End of VBS




Easy to find Maddie since she is the only one that wears a bow up north!!!





Our friend, Colin.















Friday was the last day of VBS. I am surprised to find myself saddened by this. Normally, after the long tiring week of VBS and all the prep work it takes, I am relieved VBS is over and we can rest. I was sad to think I am going to have to find things for us to do again.....and I am going to be alone again. I really enjoyed meeting Christian ladies/moms and having "adult" (not in content just among) conversations during the day.



Friday Night was the end party for VBS. Wade was able to go since it started at 7pm. The kids sang their little songs and each class did a skit. Maddie's class were "bees". I am not sure why they were bees. They didn't have a mike on their teacher, so you couldn't hear her explanation.....but they buzzed in nonetheless.




The sky on Friday night...after I took this picture, it literally turned GREEN. We took cover in case of more flying grocery carts....but it wasn't that bad this time.




Saturday: Mommy's Bible Study and Dinner Adventure



On Saturday morning, I went to Bible Study with a lady, Meredith, I met at Life Church. We are doing the study Captivating by John and Stasi Eldredge. I am only on chapter 2, since I jumped into it last minute, but I am thoroughly enjoying it thus far. It was really nice to have coffee and chat with other Christian moms. The other ladies in the study are very sweet and very helpful. They gave me lots of info and neighborhoods, school, and home builders that you do and don't want.



On Saturday evening, as was tradition in GA, we went out for dinner. In GA we always went to Jason's Deli at the Forum. We usually went early and played with the "Thomas Table" in Barnes and Nobles before walking to Jason's for dinner. It was a cheap dinner with really healthy food......and ice cream. Can anyone guess Maddie's favorite part for eating there? Even if it did sometimes hurt her stomach later.



Since moving to MN we have kept our Saturday night dinner tradition, but haven't found a "usual" to eat at. Last week we went to a neat restaurant on the docks at Lake Minnetonka. The food was pricey for our taste and not that great, but watching the boats made up for it. This week we tried going to the Malt Shoppe. However, when we arrived it was a really long wait (good sign that it is a good place to eat) without waiting room inside. We would have had to wait on the sidewalk next to a really busy street.....not great for kids.



So, back to the van (with two very disappointed kids) we went. We used our handy dandy GPS to help us locate another place to eat. After scrolling through a long list of places that either sounded really fancy (therefore probably pricey) or we couldn't pronounce them...never a good idea with kids, we decided on Old Country Buffet (pronounced Boo-Fay by the GPS). It sounded like good country eatin'....something we had all been missing.



We arrived with visions of fried chicken dancin' before our eyes. We arrived, I should note, at a strip mall. Red flags wavin' for anyone here?? They're should have been for us, but apparently it was hidden by the hunger and fussy kids. The dinner was horrible...the clientele even worse. I kept asking Wade if he thought we would all get food poisoning. After more thought, I was afraid of getting lice. When I mentioned that to Wade, he found it really funny and asked if I was afraid of getting the Bubonic Plague. Men!!! There is quite a difference between lice and the Bubonic Plague. For starters, getting rid of lice out of little girls hair is nearly impossible. Besides, I haven't heard of anyone getting the Bubonic Plague lately, have you?




Sunday: Potty Party and Chutes and Ladders!!!





Our Sunday started off with a Potty Party, did yours?



I received an email Sunday morning complete with pictures from my friend Trisha. She has a daughter, Megan, that is Sam's age and was actually in his school class. In one of the pictures, Megan is proudly sitting on the toilet. Upon seeing this, Sam decided that he too could go pee in a potty. So off to the potty we went and guess what.....he went!!!! (much to everyone's surprise). He is now wearing Pull Ups...we are still having accidents, but he goes some. Some is better than none and a HUGE step up from screaming every time "potty" is mentioned.




Look at my "big boy underwear" aka Pull Ups with CARS on them.





YEAH!!! Success, I get to flush!!



Chutes and Ladders Park

For all the complaining I do about MN, there is one thing that we love here. ALL THE PARKS. I guess the parks would be a toss up with the nice cool weather. Anyhoo, we try to go to a different park every weekend. This time, we visited Chutes and Ladders. True to the name, it was full of cargo net ladders that connected to tunnels and chutes (slides) the kids loved it.



Hum, to climb or not to climb...that is the question!!

The kids were having too much fun....Sam decided to climb!!!

No comments: