Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Three of the Sheeks are goin' South......

............and none too soon!!

The kids and I are flying (via Chicago) to NC on August 6th and will not return to the "Artic Circle" until August 19th. We are so excited and very thankful for this surprise. While we are very sad that Wade will not join us on this adventure (as I am sure anything involving my kids, an airplane, and changing flights is bound to be), we can't wait all the same. We are going to visit family on both sides in NC and go to the beach in SC for a week with Ga-Ga, Granddaddy, and Uncle Nate (yes, Maddie we are going to the REAL beach). Again, very excited. The kids are excited and ready to go. They wanted to go yesterday, today, and tomorrow!!

I met the neighbors in a way I have never wanted this morning. I had gotten both kids dressed early, as we were going to the dollar movie this morning, and had jumped in the shower when Maddie came bustin' in. Since this is a normal occurrence in my life (another reason why I LOVE LifeTime Fitness....showering in peace) I didn't react to it. It wasn't until Maddie threw open the shower curtain and threatened to jump in fully clothed to get my attention, that I stuck my head out to see what was going on. "Mommy, Sam scaped," Maddie said through tears. I knew that Wade had securely locked the door on his way out this morning, since Sam had "scaped" before. So, I calmly asked Maddie to explain how Sam "scaped". "Him opened the lock and door and runned" was her answer. Well, I guess that would qualify as an escape....opening the deadbolt lock, door, and running out....yeppers that's an escape.

I proceeded to throw open the shower curtain grab a towel and go for a look myself. I panicked when I saw Sam's beloved "ba-ba" and "Pooh" laying suspiciously in front of the door. I raced out the apartment (clothed in my towel) with suds from my hair flying behind me. I had to run all the way down the hall to find Sam waiting for the elevator. He had actually pressed the "down" button. After a stern talking to about never ever ever ever leave the apartment without Mommy or Daddy, I asked Sam where he thought he was going. He looked up at me and innocently said, "Doe home, Orgia" (go home to Georgia). Sam was apparently tired of waiting for us to take him home and was leaving himself.

I can't decide if I am amazed that he could open the deadbolt and the door by himself, astonished that he knew to go to the elevator and press down to get out of the building, or just plain scared silly at what may have happened if he had gotten on the elevator alone......then again embarrassment is at the top of the list too. When we were walking back to the apartment, I casually rubbed a blob of suds into the carpet while hoping no one was peaking through the peep holes in their doors. I can't wait to be on the elevator and over hear what people say about this one.....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank God you got to him before the elevator did and hooray for Maddie for telling you so quickly. Guess it's time for some of those plastic-kids can't open the door- things for the door knobs; plus and extra hook. :) Barbara

Anonymous said...

I know it was not funny at the time, and I am very glad that you got to him before he got on the elevator, but it is a pretty funny picture to me. :)

Trisha said...

I am so glad you are getting to go home for a visit. Any chance you will make it a little further south...to GA?