Sunday, November 16, 2008

Where do homesick people for the south go?

To Cracker Barrel of course!

Did you know that Cracker Barrel is the same in Minnesota as it is back south? Complete with the Country Store, Southern cookin', and SWEET TEA!!!! In case you were wondering, we looked around and noticed no one had sweet tea but us.

Yes, we drove about 20 miles for dinner last night. It has been a hard couple of weeks for me. It has been cold and snowy and it only going to be colder and more snowy. I have been homesick for warmth and sun. Homesick for friends and family. Homesick for Chickfila and sweet tea.

So, Wade took us to Cracker Barrel to solve all the problems for me. I am sure I am probably the only person to ever tear up in a Cracker Barrel. It was so much like home. Isn't that sad? I just said that Cracker Barrel was like home. Have I really stooped that low?

The kids had a great time. Maddie remembers going to Cracker Barrel and browsing in the store while we waited for our table in Georgia (and driving back and forth to NC). However, there isn't a run on Cracker Barrel here (more people that I thought, but not like in the south) so we didn't have but a 5 minute wait. They both ate enough biscuits to kill a rhino. Next time we are only going to order them 1 children's meal to split. Neither one came close to finishing their meal. That is rare for Sam.

I guess memories of Cracker Barrel will have to carry me through until I can go home at Christmas. I am recalling the taste of the sweet tea as I look out the window at snow, again. Somehow it doesn't seem so cold outside and I think I can see that southern sun just peaking out of a cloud. Don't worry, I won't check to be sure. I'll just hold tight to the thought that it is out somewhere.

No comments: