Friday, September 5, 2008

First Day of School


First Day of School 2008
St Andrew Lutheran Church








The weather warmed up some. The sky was blue and........
Today I took my babies to St. Andrew Lutheran Preschool. I put on a really happy face and played up how wonderful it is going to be. In reality, it was one of the top 5 hardest days, of this adventure, for me.
How I miss the security of NCA. How I miss knowing not only the teachers but the students and parents where my kids are going to school. How I miss familiar faces and places.
It is a different world when you drop your babies off where know one knows them. No one knows that Maddie is shy and sensitive. No one knows that Sam is a ham but tries to be a good kid. No one knows my kid's histories or even their names. No one knows of the friends and life we left behind. I just pray they are loved and taken care of like as much as back home.
It seemed everyone knew someone. All the moms knew each other...all the kids knew each other. And again, the kids and I were outsiders.
True to the course of the adventure, there were many comments on our accents. I had a mother tell Maddie that she didn't need address her as "yes ma'am and no ma'am". In private I reminded Maddie that we always use these manners, whether people around us do or not.
However, Sam had a good day. He went potty for his teachers and according to his take home sheet he was "well behaved and talkative". The teacher told me he was "chatty". He has really grown up since moving here.
Maddie had her meet and greet with her teachers today. She doesn't actually start until Monday, but we are considering this her "first" day as well. She met a little girl in her classroom and they played "ice cream shoppe" together. She also had her school pictures today. Interesting how they do things differently.
After a special lunch at McDonald's, the kids were really excited about their school. Maddie especially is ready to jump in and make friends. Though, she was hoping there would be another Molly, Matt, and Jacob in her class (there isn't) she is ready to begin a new life with new friends.
We miss you Georgia and all the dear friends you hold!!!

3 comments:

Ellen and John said...

I can't wait to read this to Molly when she wakes up. She talks about Maddie all the time and actually asked me where Maddie was going to school. She misses her friend Maddie just as much as Maddie misses Molly. We actually printed some pictures to send to Maddie because Molly doesn't want Maddie to forget her. Be looking for them in the mail! I really enjoy reading your posts, even though they tend to bring a tear to my eye each time! I pray for ya'll daily and I know that things are going to get a lot better. Please, Please, Please let us know when you make it back to Norcross. You don't realize what you have until it's gone. We miss you!!

Trisha said...

I totally understand the "new school blues" - new procedures, too many unknowns, but the MN world will fall in love we the Sheeks just as we did - they just take a little while longer to warm up than us "southern folk"...as far as the Ma'am thing...my northern roots and Keith's southern roots clash. I require politeness...but Megan has a choice...Yes Ma'am or No Ma'am OR as my Bostonian parents taught...Yes Please or No Thank You. I don't blame you for sticking to your guns...just a word from someone who has lived all over the place.

Thank you for your kind words and prayers this week. I read them sitting at my desk at work this morning, wishing you still had a classroom down the hall so we could vent together.

I would love to see you when you make it back. Let me know what your parameters are!

Christa said...

Trisha-

As always, you have great advice. I too require politeness. I guess the southern way is just ingrained in me and I don't think of alternatives.
Too, bad we have to email and not run down the hall to chat!!

Christa