Thursday, February 19, 2009

Maddie and Sam's Birthday Party, 2009

This year, we had a different sort of birthday party. Gone are the days of parties with all our Georgia friends and their kids. Gone are the parties where it is more of a get together for the parents, than a party for the kids.

This is a new era of birthday parties for the Sheek family. So we decided to embrace it and jump in with both feet. This year, Maddie and Sam had their party at the Nature Center. If you read my little blog, you may remember that we "lived" at the Nature Center this summer. We caught frogs and turtles, hung out with friends, and made puppet shows there.

What does a birthday party at a Nature Center entail, you ask? Good question...let's explore and see.....


First, a Naturalist meets with your party and talks about all the different animals that live in your area and the footprints they leave.




Then, you walk up stairs and to the "look out room" to see if any of those native animals are near. Obviously, the turkeys were out and about that day.



Next, you get the group of 6 2/3 year olds and 6 4/5 year olds bundled up in their winter gear...

and proceed to track animals in the snow. Do you remember the pond that Ga-Ga and Granddaddy caught frogs at over Labor Day? If so, you probably will not recognize it in the next picture. I thought I had a picture of my mom walking on the frozen pond....but I guess I didn't. She was brave enough to walk out with us. Looking mighty cute in her boots from Marshall's I might add :)


Once back inside, with every one's winter gear off, the birthday kids got to choose a resident animal to "come" to their party. The Nature Center has a selection of birds and other animals that live there. Maddie loves the owl......
However she chose the SALAMANDER to come to her party. What in the world was she thinking?!?!?


She was able to hold her choice Salamander while the other kids could only touch it.


Any guesses what animal Sam chose? The really cool hawk? Nope. The friendly turtle? Uh-Uh.
A snake. Guess he didn't want Maddie to seem braver than him.





But Daddy had to hold Sam while Sam held the snake. I don't blame him....I wouldn't want to hold a snake by myself.



After hiking in the snow and meeting the animals....it was pizza time, of course. This is a Georgia tradition we brought here with us.






Of course after pizza comes cake. Maddie chose a Tinkerbell theme this year and Sam chose a Cars theme. Please don't tell him he had the same cake 2 years in a row. He doesn't remember his 2 year old cake and chose it again this year.












After eating the cake Sam spit all over.....I jest, I jest..... it was PRESENT TIME! Luckily Ga-Ga was here to help Sam while I helped Maddie.












Both kids received many wonderful gifts. However, the best gift of all was having friends come to their party. I admit I was nervous. I sweated it out, until guests started to arrive.
God blessed us with friends to come to the kids party even though we haven't been here a year yet.

















1 comment:

Unknown said...

Christa,

My name is Julie Walker and I am Kate Walker's mom. Maddie and Kate sit next to each other in Mrs. Heyer's class. I am so sorry for such a strange way to contact you, but I was trying to find your address to send Maddie a birthday invitation for Kate's party on 10/3. I was unable to to find you any other way, I am hoping you see this posting. If it is ok please call me at 952-937-5721 or e-mail me jwalker33@comcast.net, so we can get an invite off to Maddie. I hope the date works for you, I know that Kate talks about her everyday and I think they are becoming great friends. I hope we have a chance to meet at the parents night this Thursday. Again so sorry to track you down this way.