Friday, March 20, 2009

I know he is mine......

.....but surely don't always understand how he got be "SAM".

Okay so I get that statement doesn't make a whole a lot of sense. I realize he became Sam when we named him Sam. When we (read Wade....I was a little out of it after the whole pushing a baby out thing) wrote his name, Samuel Reeves Sheek, on the birth certificate he became our Sam.

Oh my darling precious snuggle baby boy was once a sweet toddler named Sam.

Then, Sam turned three. He went to sleep one night my snugly baby boy Sam and he woke up an independent three year old, SAM.

What, you can't tell the difference? Oh, when I write in all caps......it means I am, ahem, yelling. I could have lied and said that I was saying it with great enthusiasm. Or that I was just enunciating every syllable. But, I am an honest open book. So, I let you know the truth.

But, I must explain yelling. Yelling is not something you do out of anger or because you are mad. That would be screaming. Yelling isn't something you do when you are being mean. That would be telling someone off. Yelling is something you do to get over your child's voice as he zooms around the room....as Buzz, of course. Yelling is something you do to get over your child's voice as he is making sword sounds and repeating "aye matey" over and over.

You see, SAM is not longer Sam. He has to be someone else all the time. His favorites are Buzz "Yightyear (Lightyear)" and Capt'n Hook.

Lovely.

When he isn't being someone other than himself, he shocking us the darnest things. You know like whopping his sister upside the head just "cause".

Or he is crossing his arms and telling the nurse at the ENT that he wouldn't clap at the beeps cause he was "dumpy" (grumpy). Granted, clapping your hands at a heard beep to get a battery operated dog to bark is a little corny. But still

Or, my favorite, stomping his feet.....while telling me he was "tomping him footed"...just in case I hadn't noticed when he doesn't get his way.

Simply Lovely.

SAM has spent way more time in time out that Maddie ever did. And SAM has spent more time out at random places than Maddie ever did. Church, yep time out there (never by the workers there...on no, he is only SAM when he is with me). The mall...um, check. The park, check check (and I am sure you realize we have only been there twice since Sam turned into SAM)

Wade says, it's just my imagination and that I am not remembering my quiet, book loving, always drawing, little girl correctly. Well, maybe. But she sure never pushed a child down at a play area simply because she needed "somes body to walk the fank (plank)" - any guesses who he was that day?

Wade took SAM and Maddie to school this morning. I had the stomach flu yesterday and have been completely of commission....the point that SAM actually turned to Sam and explained to me that, "Mommy's not fee-wing soes well."

When I picked up SAM I asked his teachers (as I always do with a big smile on my face apprehension in my heart....but bless their hearts they love him for who he is....and he is actually really good for other people) how he was. I was informed that after Wade dropped him off, they asked Sam if that was his Daddy. Did my son answer as most would, oh no. My son shrugged his shoulders and said "him not know who dat was".

Oh yes he did.

Luckily the preschool figured it must have been his daddy....cause what kidnapper would actually take the child to school? Actually I think, with a child like SAM, they would probably return him real quick like.

Sigh.

But, I love SAM for who is his. Whether he is Sam, SAM, Buzz, or Capt'n Hook. He is mine. God granted me this little all boy, boy to be in my care and I will do all I can to teach him about God's love, keep him safe, and play with him.

Speaking of which SAM has returned to Sam and just came to ask me to "snuggle" with him....so off I go to enjoy Sam for the few minutes I have him before he becomes SAM, who I love just as much.

2 comments:

Trisha said...

Megan misses Sam...she hasn't met SAM yet, but I feel sure she'd like him, too. Sounds like he'd make her give those big belly laughs I love to hear so much! Hey - if nothing else - he must help the time fly!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking that the Sam not knowing Daddy story is one for the "Here's your sign" comic. The teacher, I'm thinking, needs one. :) Barbara